• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OIIIIIIIO
    Roll Model for his kids !
    • Mar 2003

axle thought train...?

Hi

It's been discussed lots lately...here's my story...

I have an 85 CJ7 with stock axles and 2.73 gearing on 33" tires...I'm also the proud new owner of a set of stock axles out of a 79 Full size bronco (Ford 9" and Dana 44 I believe...). I may at some point go to 35" tires but not any larger...and will probably lock up the rear...perhaps both...at some point in time...

Thought one...
    Swap both FS axles in...save regearing for later...not sure what they are geared at but it's got to be better than my 2.73...get new rims to tuck the tires under a bit...

My concern...how wide is the jeep now going to be and will it limit some of the benefits of being a Jeep vs a full size vehicle...

Thought two...
    Shorten the 9" to fit the rear and keep the stock Jeep axle up front...regear both to 4.56 when doing this...sell the front axle out of the bronco...

My worry...the front axle will fail at some point...

Thought 3...
    Sell both bronco axles...get one piece shafts for the AMC 20 and regear to 4.56 at the same time...

My worry...AMC20 still not as tuff with 1 piece shafts and will fail with locked 35's...

Your thoughts?
    Pros and cons to each "thought?"
    Cost analysis to each "thought?"
    General words of wisdom with this project...

Thanks!
    Patrick
    What I mean to say is that I have a lot to learn...and that's what I'm trying to do here. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • OhioYJ
    in-famously viral
    • Mar 2005

If you are going to lock them, just put both in there. The 9" is night and day stronger than your AMC 20, especially if you put shafts in 9 inch. If you shave the 9" while its out, you'll end up with more clearance than the 20.

The 44 is still stronger than your stock Dana30 in the front, I put the 44 in the front of my YJ just to be sure it was fine with a locker.

Swapping in two new axles isn't going to be cheap, but it really is the better route if you want to wheel it with 35s and lockers, you won't be as worried.
    95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build Up Post -- Photos -- Jeep FAQ -- Mike

Comment

• 4bob4
      posting under the influence
      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by OhioYJ:
      If you are going to lock them, just put both in there. The 9" is night and day stronger than your AMC 20, especially if you put shafts in 9 inch. If you shave the 9" while its out, you'll end up with more clearance than the 20.

The 44 is still stronger than your stock Dana30 in the front, I put the 44 in the front of my YJ just to be sure it was fine with a locker.

Swapping in two new axles isn't going to be cheap, but it really is the better route if you want to wheel it with 35s and lockers, you won't be as worried.
      [img]graemlins/ditto.gif[/img] If you already had some money in your stock axles I might say differently (I'm keeping my axles when I go to 35's and just adding upgraded shafts in the front). But seeing as they are stock I say pull em get what you can out of em and start throwing the new ones in.
      DrLewall: and this is why I don't do facebook anymore...

kennedy: some of your posts older than the ones above?

Comment

• hodge
        Wheeler
        • Jan 2007

My guess on the gearing in the 9 and 44 are 3.50's.
        95 Wrangler YJ I6 32RH auto 31x10.50's

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ...

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
          • Mar 2003

Hi

So, now I have someone who said I can have a DANA 44 front out of a Waggy for next to nothing...

Anyone know what the width on that would be?

I'm still real hesitant to go to full width...shouldn't be to bad to do with the 9 I have...but with the 44 out of the bronco...a lot tougher...

Thanks,
          Patrick
          What I mean to say is that I have a lot to learn...and that's what I'm trying to do here. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
            • Mar 2003

So...

Now I'm leaning towards going full width...

I have the axles...what's going to make the swap expensive? Will drive shafts line up with no problems? even in the front? Re-welding the mounts on the axles. Steering issues up front?

Think of me as the guy that call's into the "Mr. Obvious Show" on Bob and Tom...you know...the guy who thinks there's a badger in his sink...

Thanks!
            Patrick

Comment

• OhioYJ
              in-famously viral
              • Mar 2005

Think of me as the guy that call's into the "Mr. Obvious Show" on Bob and Tom...you know...the guy who thinks there's a badger in his sink...
              AraWaWaWaWaWaWaWa, I can't for the life of me figure out what that light switch goes too.... I love the one with the bear, "Your're a big hairy sump pump aren't you.... "

What full width axles are you planning on running?
              95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build Up Post -- Photos -- Jeep FAQ -- Mike

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
                • Mar 2003

Out of a 79 Full size bronco...

DANA 44 up front...Ford 9" rear...

Replacing the stock axles on my wide track CJ...dana 30 front....amc 20 rear

so...you think there will be any lining up issues with drive shafts? steering components?

I was thinking some more today...I will probably be limited in how much backspacing I can go with in order to clear steering and stop[ing components...or no?

Thanks!
                Patrick

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
                  • Mar 2003

oh...and as far as shaving an axle...that's basically just taking the grinding wheel to the bottom of the pumpkin and grinding off as much as you can while still leaving some metal to contain the oil and get the cover to attach...or no?

Thanks!
                  Patrick

Comment

• Don Koponen
                    Maybe I like poo?
                    • Nov 2004

Shaved 9" with 1/4" plate.

3/4" more clearance than a d35...
                    AFSOC, retired...
                    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose". - Ronald Reagan-

Comment

• dan58
                      Wheeler
                      • Oct 2002

Your CJ is PS drop. The bronco is DS drop. Sell the bronco axles and your current axles. Find a set of Waggy 44s (front being PS drop). Gear to 4.56. Waggies are all around 60" wide. The Ford FS axles are around 67-69" wide. You'd never cover them with flares.
                      90 YJ on 60s, 39\" Krawlers, and propane.

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
                        • Mar 2003

I'm pretty sure that both axles I have drop on the same side...jelly side down...er...ah...i mean...

If I get rims with more less backspacing that'll tuck 'em back under won't it...maybe not getting all the way back to where they are now...but pretty darn close...er no?

Comment

• OhioYJ
                          in-famously viral
                          • Mar 2005

Well your CJ7 should have a passenger side drop front axle, while the Bronco would have a driver side drop front axle, which would mean you'd have to get a different transfer case.

The only problem with wheels with more backspacing is that you will expose the front hub.

Here is machineryrepairmans YJ, full width 60 front, Ford 10.25 rear, not the best picture to show this, but you can see the hubs actually stick out past the tire, which puts them in harms way when wheeling.

Width wise, he might be able to cover the tires with an extended set of flares, I think it would cover them, but it'd be close.

Comment

• OIIIIIIIO
                            • Mar 2003

Hi

So...to add to this story...

Waggy 44 front...$75
                            Ford 9" rear from 79 FSB...free

I buy parts...4.56 gears...?

Labor...found someone to do the gears and install the whole axle into my CJ7...$350 (same guy who did my cage so I'm real confident in his abilities)

Do I jump?

Is the FSB 9" wider than the waggy 44...i.e. will it need to be cut down?

Other thoughts or questions I need to think about?

Thanks!
                            Patrick

Comment

• bsm4130
                              Wheeler
                              • Sep 2007

Well the 79 Bronco axles have a 65" width from WMS to WMS. I think the Waggy axles are closer to 59" but don't quote me on that.
                              Battle Truck, settle the score
                              Battle Truck, beer run to the store
                              Battle Truck, takes it's lumps
                              Battle Truck, takes trash to the dumps

Comment

Working...