Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Eliminate Crush Sleeve in Dana 30?

Wheeler

aulance is on a distinguished road

06-09-2013, 02:32 AM

I've read in a post or two (one on this sight while searching and on another site) about some people replacing the crush sleeve in a Dana 30 Front axle (I've got a 2000 TJ) with a solid spacer. Has anyone here done this and/or have recommendations for doing (or not doing) this? It appears as simple as measuring the existing crush sleeve and replacing with a solid spacer of the same size.

I'd appreciate any help. I'm slowly learning to work on my Jeep... did a SYE and new rear drive shaft a few weeks ago and then new ball joints and new u-joints in the front axles and front drive shaft last week. Think I may be up to tackling bearings and seals in the the Front Dana 30 and Rear Dana 44 soon.
2000 TJ Sport, 4.0, NV3550, NP231, SYE, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, RR Crossover steering, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Tires, 4" BB (Rough Country 4" X-Series lift coming soon...), 15x8 BlackRock Wheels, Smittybilt Front and Rear SRC bumpers, Herculiner in the Tub

in-famously viral

OhioYJ will become famous soon enough

06-09-2013, 09:09 AM

It's common practice on any high horsepower vehicle build using an axle with crush sleeve. Why do you want to replace it though? If you are sure your pinion bearing preload is correct, then yes you can measure yours and order a spacer. Many times what I've seen is a spacer that comes with shims as well, so you can adjust preload for setup.

Crush sleeve isn't exactly a common failure point though on a Dana30, why do you want to remove it?
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, 4" leafs, 1" shackles, 3" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

Wheeler

aulance is on a distinguished road

06-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be easier/simpler than resetting the preload with a new crush sleeve while I'm in there. I've got a bad seal on the 30 and a growling bearing (only under load in1st and sometimes 2nd) in the 44. I know the 44, from reading, should be an easier job since it doesn't have the crush sleeve. I think the front bearings are ok, just needs the seal. Haven't done any of this before, so really appreciate the quick reply.
2000 TJ Sport, 4.0, NV3550, NP231, SYE, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, RR Crossover steering, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Tires, 4" BB (Rough Country 4" X-Series lift coming soon...), 15x8 BlackRock Wheels, Smittybilt Front and Rear SRC bumpers, Herculiner in the Tub

in-famously viral

06-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Personally I always replace the crush sleeve if I remove the pinion nut. They are available on the shelf at most AutoParts stores (Assuming you get someone who actually knows what they are). Generally they are in the "Help" section of the store.

That being said lots of people just remove the yoke, pull the seal, install a new one, and tighten it back down.

Not having to deal with a crush sleeve is much easier though.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, 4" leafs, 1" shackles, 3" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

Maybe I like poo?

Knuckelhead will become famous soon enough

06-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Or, install one of these?...

in-famously viral

06-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Or, install one of these?...
High pinion 30s are much easier!