Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Rusted Out Body Mounts

Rookie

jlb1559 is on a distinguished road

01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Hello,

I've searched a lot on this topic but can't seem to find a complete answer. Sorry if it's posted somewhere else.

I'm replacing the rubber body mounts on my 90 YJ. No lift, just stock. The actual metal brackets that holds the mount to the frame are severely rusted. Especially around the hole in the middle. They are too far gone to actually do there function.

What I want to do is to get a piece of 1/8" metal the size the rusted part and just sit it up there and then torque down the frame bolts. This should work because there is enough metal to support a new plate.

My problem is: Where do I get such metal? I've called about 10 welding shops with no luck. One guys wanted to charge me $70 for three squares 3 1/2" X 2 1/2". Another guy just said: "I don't want to get involved", like cutting 3 squares and drilling a hole in them would just be too much work?!?!

Part of the prob is that I live in northern NJ, 10 miles outside NYC. No one wants to do anything unless there making a couple of grand off it.

I'm sure lots of people have had such a prob. Suggestions are much appreciated.

in-famously viral

OhioYJ will become famous soon enough

01-28-2010, 10:11 PM

You should be able to find a metal shop somewhere in the nearest large city. The closest city to me has several, you'll be better off drilling the holes yourself generally, but one of the metal shops around here will drill them $0.50 a hole. You don't need new, place that sells used steel would be fine. Also ask for drops, you don't need a whole sheet, or stick. Generally the place I go has a table full of pieces roughly the size you are looking for or longer, that are just drops, or scrap pieces, they sell by weight (which means they are durn near free at that point 1/8" don't weight nothing).

Worst case, Lowes, Home Depot, Handymans, etc, generally do have some 1/8" material, not sure if they have anything quite that wide, and usually they are considerably higher than a metal shop, or metal recycler (like 10-20x higher than my local metal recycler, in some cases... ).

Also once you find a couple places that might have be worth looking into, I'd go up there in person, and look around, ask for used, or scraps, generally over the phone you'll get higher quotes than you do in person. Just use the phone as a feeler to decide if you should go down there and look around.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, 4" leafs, 1" shackles, 3" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike