Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

2002 Jeep Wrangler Won't Start - Beeping

Class Clown

Jaboobie is on a distinguished road

08-19-2010, 10:20 AM

I didn't have much time to look at it this morning but here's the deal. I've been noticing that the jeep hasn't been starting as forcefully. It started fine but it has been sounding pretty weak about it for the first second or so. Anyway a couple days ago after work I get into the jeep and hear some weird beeping that I never heard before but it started up anyway. All last night I heard faint beeps but couldn't figure out where they were coming from until this morning when I opened the garage and heard the jeep beeping, no key, no lights left on. The dome light was blinking but the switch wasn't left on, in fact I have that fuse pulled because of the safari doors I have on. I go to start it and nothing no sounds or anything. But it beeps and if you play with the lights, it beeps in varying cadences.

I tried to jump it and it pulls power from the other battery but it won't start, just clicking.

It has original battery and starter so I'm thinking this is just a problem with the starter and that I should probably replace the battery and the cables (corroded a bit) while I'm at it.

I was just wondering if I'm missing anything because the weird beeping sounds with no key in and no lights left on is throwing me. It's just sitting there beeping at me. WTF is that?

Edit 1: Hmm, maybe a bad ground would cause that weird beeping? Could be just the cable corrosion but it still should have started when I jumped it right? I'll take everything out and clean it tonight and see.

Edit 2: Went to AutoZone at lunch to see if they had a starter in stock. The AutoZone guy said it could just be the battery. Suggested I leave the jumper cables on for a while before trying to start it. I'm gonig to do that when I get home and see what happens.

Last edited by Jaboobie; 08-19-2010 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: adding details

Class Clown

08-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Yeah, FYI, battery was shot to hell. Battery wasn't registering more than 7 volts on the multimeter. Picked up a new one and everything is fine.

Maybe I like poo?

Knuckelhead will become famous soon enough

08-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaboobie View Post
Yeah, FYI, battery was shot to hell. Battery wasn't registering more than 7 volts on the multimeter. Picked up a new one and everything is fine.
Quick, aint ya...

Class Clown

08-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Quick, aint ya...
ha, I wouldn't have posted at all except the thing was just sitting there in the garage making weird beeps and flashing lights at me, like it was trying to tell me something. It was a bit creepy.