Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Jeep Soft Top

Wheeler

Monk22 is on a distinguished road

05-30-2006, 06:13 PM

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. When I bought it used it had a Bestop Hardtop on it. I want to get a Soft top for it. Where are the best places to look? I am looking to save some cash and get a soft top for the summer. I have found some on ebay, but I am not sure what all I will need. What are all the parts you need for a soft top?
I want the upper doors to go with the top. Also, what should I look for on my Jeep to determine if it had a soft top on it to begin with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Monk

+ 1 woo hoo

99TJMike is on a distinguished road

05-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Check on the roll bar just behind the front seats, brackets for the soft top hardware would be mounted there. also check on the top of the tub just behind the doors running to the back, there would be rails mounted on both sides of the tub for the the thin strip of plastic on the bottom of the side windows would slide into. On the back on top of the tub on either side of the tailgate, a pair of brackets about 5-6 inches wide and maybe 3/4 inch high would be mounted to slide the tailgate bar (bottom of rear window) into.

If you are interested I have 99 OEM soft top support hardware, brackets that mount on the roll bar just behind the front seat, tailgate bar and L & R door surrounds.

Irate Fanny Packer

Tonka will become famous soon enough

05-31-2006, 02:50 AM

If it had the hard top, I am assuming it has full doors (it will have the roll up glass windows). If so, you will need the part that goes around the door that seals the door and top (help me out here fellow BB members; is that the "surround"?). To have the uppers, you would need the half-doors.

I would suggest a Sunrider type of top. That way you can enjoy driving in the sun without the trouble of putting the entire top down.

"Sweetboy"

trainbrainmike is on a distinguished road

05-31-2006, 06:04 PM

Agree with about everything but this. (To have the uppers, you would need the half-doors.)
The same door surrounds work with half door tops AND full doors.

Especially agree with the part about the sunrider top, but if bucks are short, there is a way where by cutting the bar for the top that goes over the door area, a sunrider top of sorts can be home made. How to do articles are frequently seen, JU has one.

ding dong

Jeepbug is on a distinguished road

05-31-2006, 07:00 PM

If you do buy a used OEM soft top, definitely go for a 2001 and above (I think that year is right) so you'll get the sailcloth material and not the crappy stuff that cracks and fades. I bought mine off craigslist.

Deep cover IRS Informant

tinknocker is on a distinguished road

05-31-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk22:
I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. When I bought it used it had a Bestop Hardtop on it. I want to get a Soft top for it. Where are the best places to look?
Call Qtec talk to Howard Fullerton, tell him you want a best top super top for a 97 wrangler and a set of upper doors to match!!!
isnt Tinknocker's heep a 4-banger too? and his **** is so bad ass, i'm not worthy to stand near it.