Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

need help vacuum diagram - 4.2 1988

retired hardass & Still Confused

fatoldfool is on a distinguished road

12-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Can anyone either email me a diagram/ or point me to a site where I can copy a vacuum diagram for a 1988 YJ with 4.2?? Any info. greatly appreciated!

Wheeler

Indulgn is on a distinguished road

12-24-2005, 04:47 PM

Good Luck, all your going to get is a website showing a diagram that makes very little sense. Im going thru the same thing. I have an 89 YJ that I just finished the Nutter Bypass on and now Im trying to get the carb and vacuum lines all hooked up again. This thing was a real piece of work when I bought it. Then your going to find out that the stock 258 Carter carb is a piece of #*$&. Its like one thing after another. I dont know about you, but I wish someone would publish a manual,,,,,step 1, step 2, kinda like a flow chart, if it looks like this, go to B, if it looks like this go to step C, if not, go to D etc, etc, Not all engines are alike or have the same crap missing. Its alot of fun playing with though so hang in there and dont give up.

Wheeler

Indulgn is on a distinguished road

12-24-2005, 04:49 PM

Oh by the way,,,,lets not even get into emissions!!!!!!!Happy Holidays, 75+ degrees in Arizona today, boy if that dosent say Ho Ho Ho, I dont know what does....

Wheeler

dingebre is on a distinguished road

12-25-2005, 11:13 PM

Here is the website. Before I converted to the Howell TBI, this site is the best site to help you unwind the vacuum hoses. No one ever said the vacuum/emission system on the 4.2 liter was simple. The Chilton manual has a good trouble shooting guide, too(taken from the shop manual).

There are some subtle differences (errors?) when comparing the diagram on this site to my shop manuals, but I finally convinced myself the diagram here was correct.

It took me a couple of hours when I did it on my 1990, but when it was done, it all worked great. I had to replace a couple of the vacuum switches on the firewall but when you have it hooked up right it actually does work.

That said, a fuel injection conversion is the way to go. You get to take all the vacuum lines, switches, etc. and throw them out except for the canister/fuel tank lines and of course the EGR lines. Howell, Holley, CustomEFI.com, MOPAR, all are great options. I went with the Howell system and then I custom tuned a chip and it all works great.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/