Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Starter Solenoid suppression diodes

Wheeler

Mr. Pure is on a distinguished road

11-16-2007, 03:32 AM

Hi All,

I have an '85 Jeep CJ and recenty had the starter go out on me. After replacing the starter, it turns out the starter solenoid is also bad, I bought the part but the instructions said not to use this part on a vehicle with a computer since it does not have suppression diodes. I check out two other solenoids for my vehicle and one had the same note and the other didn't have any information.

So my question is this, how can I tell if the solenoid has the suppression diodes? Or is this a non-issue with the primative computer on my '85 CJ?

Currently the new part that I have is a Borg Warner S63 which looks nothing like the one in the Jeep now. If I can use it, the smaller terminals are labled "I" and "S". Which one gets the 12V signal from the ignition?

Thanks in advance.

in-famously viral

OhioYJ will become famous soon enough

11-16-2007, 10:15 AM

Never heard of such thing honestly.

You should be fine to use it the way it is. The "S" terminal is the one that gets 12 volts (with the key in the starter position) to engage the starter.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, 4" leafs, 1" shackles, 3" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike