Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Crossover Steering

giddy as a 4yr old girl

XJGUY is on a distinguished road

06-28-2008, 11:13 PM

With 4.5 inches of lift, 33" tires, and a stock pitman arm, I had some issues with bump steer. Since it was my DD at the time, I HAD to fix this problem. I could have opted for a drop pitman arm to correct the angles but wheeling with oversized tires on the factory tie-rod is not the best thing to do. I needed something to fix the bump steer problem as well as beef up my steering linkages. After flipping through the pages of the Q-Tec catalog 50 or so times I still couldnt find what I needed. A local Jeep shop had just gotten in a crossover steering kit from Rugged Ridge and I figured Id give it a shot. The owner of the shop always hooks me up with good deals so he gave me this thing at HIS cost of $160. Plus tax of course. It came with a wheel-to-wheel tie rod, a drag link, 4 tie rod ends, and a stabilizer bracket, as well as all neccessary castle nuts, cotter pins, and grease fittings.

When I first picked up the box that this thing came in, I about dropped it. It was much heavier than I expected. Both of the tubes for the linkages are made from 1.25" .25" wall DOM tubing with some extremely HD rod ends.

The install was as simple as changing the oil. It didnt take me 30 minutes.
After driving it down the road and back and tightening the jamb nuts and everything, I found that my alignment wasnt even affected. At least not enough for me to notice. And then I realized something else, no bump steer. The longer tie rod and drag link dramatically reduced the angles of the linkages so not only did I get some beefy steering parts, my bump steer was fixed. Overall, this has go to be one of the best investments ive put on my XJ.

Heres a before shot of the wimpy stock setup:

And here is the after shot with the new crossover setup: (note the difference in the angles)

I would reccomend this kit to anyone looking to upgrade their steering. I never could find this particular kit on Q-Tec even though they carry Rugged Ridge products even something like http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_102.htm would be a great investment.

your title -Here-

b1pig will become famous soon enoughb1pig will become famous soon enough

04-25-2009, 07:51 AM

last time before it rolls to the bottom....

Wheeler

aulance is on a distinguished road

03-16-2010, 04:00 AM

I think you've answered the question I had... if I get this cross-over steering set-up from Rugged Ridge (which is in the catalogs from the winter and spring), I don't need a drop pitman arm. I read on another post or two that it's usually not needed (and can cause more problems). Bought my 2000 TJ from a buddy a few months ago... after changing diff oil and attempting to grease fitting, found that all my ball joints are shot. Figured I'd go ahead and upgrade while I'm at it.
2000 TJ Sport, 4.0, NV3550, NP231, SYE, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, RR Crossover steering, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Tires, 4" BB (Rough Country 4" X-Series lift coming soon...), 15x8 BlackRock Wheels, Smittybilt Front and Rear SRC bumpers, Herculiner in the Tub

giddy as a 4yr old girl

03-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Its a good setup, i havnt broken anything yet and im hard on my junk. You may need a drop pitman arm though depending on what lift you have. TJ's are different from XJ's which is what ive got.

Wheeler

Matt G is on a distinguished road

03-29-2010, 12:02 AM

whats the difference between that and the quadratec one you put a link for? im going to get one i think
2003 SPORT 4.0,Auto,DANA44 rear LSD AXLE,DANA 30 FT.,rockkrawler rr bumper w2" receiver,cobra 29 side mic CB 4' firestick,4" rc lift,half cab hardtop,35" MT/r's,(and i hang a plow in the winter: Meyer 6.5FT Plow,airlift ft airbags.) tube front fenders

giddy as a 4yr old girl

03-29-2010, 12:39 AM

The link is just the tie rod. Not the complete crossover system like ive got. Keep in mind this thread is pretty old and at the time, q-tec didnt sell the crossover setup. Not sure weather they do now or not

Eagle Scout

4LWranglerTJ is on a distinguished road

03-29-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
whats the difference between that and the quadratec one you put a link for? im going to get one i think
X2 and why does Q-tec have this listed as "difficult- experts only" to install? It shouldn't be hard right? I'm guessing it is because it has to do with the steering components of the jeep and needs to be done properly but would u think it is easy enough to install something like this if you have never done it before? Thanks and this is an old thread eh\

Edit: read what you just posted
2000 Wrangler Sport /33x12.5x15/ Superior 4.56 R&P/ D30 Aussie/ 4" Procomp lift/ neoprene seat covers/ Delta Xenon headlights/ KC Slimlights/ OME Steering Stabilizer/ 5.25 Alpine type Rs and Alpine SPRs with a Pioneer Sterio/ Cobra 25 LTD NW with PA/ A-Z Fab front bumper/ Homemade Soft top quick discos and other small interior mods

Wheeler

Matt G is on a distinguished road

03-29-2010, 01:40 AM

oh and you run this without a drop pitman arm? thats what i want to do .... i dont like the drop pitman arm with a 4" lift
2003 SPORT 4.0,Auto,DANA44 rear LSD AXLE,DANA 30 FT.,rockkrawler rr bumper w2" receiver,cobra 29 side mic CB 4' firestick,4" rc lift,half cab hardtop,35" MT/r's,(and i hang a plow in the winter: Meyer 6.5FT Plow,airlift ft airbags.) tube front fenders

giddy as a 4yr old girl

03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Its listed as experts only to install because you need an alignment immediatly (spelling?) afterwards. However, thats what a measuring tape it for. As long as you measure knuckle to knuckle before you remove the old setup and adjust the new to that exact measurement, you will be close enough to drive it for a few days until you can get to the alignment shop. In my case it didnt effect it at all and the shop told me i didnt need an alignment

giddy as a 4yr old girl

03-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
oh and you run this without a drop pitman arm? thats what i want to do .... i dont like the drop pitman arm with a 4" lift

Yes i ran it without a drop pitman arm with no issues