Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

YJ speedometer not working

Rookie

roperescue is on a distinguished road

10-08-2008, 07:06 AM

I mistakenly removed the speedometer cable housing from the transfer case on my 1989 Jeep Wrangler before I read in the manual that I was supposed to mark the location prior to removal. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to reinstall the housing from scratch? I just rebuilt the engine and it runs great with the new Weber carburetor, but now I have no speedometer to check speed or mileage.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, in advance,

Roperescuer

Wheeler

machineryrepairman is on a distinguished road

10-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Are you talking about the gear or the cable? The cable should be square on the end and slide into the gear and screw on and the gear should just slide into the transfer case and be held in with a bolt. I don't know why you would have to mark it first unless your talking about something different than what I thinking of

If you have a speed sensor you need to count the number of teeth on the pinion and put the range numbers on the adaptor that correspond to the pinion at the 6 oclock position

Last edited by machineryrepairman; 10-08-2008 at 06:46 PM..

Rookie

10-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. Mine does not have a speed sensor. My problem is aligning the housing that contains the gear that drives the cable. My guess is that the Aisin-Warner transmission required some adapting to the transfer case and speedometer drive gear, since it was originally produced for Peugot.
Anyway, the drive housing is not concentric, probably requiring a certain amount of torque or pressure to operate. There are grooves in the housing at each 90 degrees that allow the clamp and bolt to be tightened. I can feel degrees of pressure as I turn it, but I've tried it at each of the four settings and no luck. I took the speedometer housing out and tested it with a drill and it seems to be working.
This is an unusual problem, but I am hoping that someone has had to same issue. I work nights and just checked the forum, so I hope this makes sense.
Thanks, again, to all who read this. Hopefully, someone has a solution?

Wheeler

Jim-87yj is on a distinguished road

10-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Roperescuer, If I understand your problem correctly I think what you have to do is loosen the hold down bolt and rotate the housing (I think) about a 1/4 turn to mesh the drive gears. I had the same issue about two years ago and I belive I just had to rotate the housing so the gears meshed together. Jim

Rookie

10-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-87yj View Post
Roperescuer, If I understand your problem correctly I think what you have to do is loosen the hold down bolt and rotate the housing (I think) about a 1/4 turn to mesh the drive gears. I had the same issue about two years ago and I belive I just had to rotate the housing so the gears meshed together. Jim
Jim,
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately for me, I have rotated the housing to each of the 90 degree positions and still, no luck. Everything was working when I removed the engine, transmission, and transfer case in order to rebuild the engine and clean up the rest of the parts. I'm hoping for a simple fix that will not require me to remove the transfer case just to inspect it for a broken gear or something. I'm scratching my head to see if I overlooked something. The cable is good, the speedometer head checks out, and the connections are correct. I am assuming that the housing must be in one of the four 90 degree positions, as that is the only way the hold-down bracket and bolt appear to align. I have a spare transmission and transfer case with a good housing and gear, but the year model is different, so they aren't the same size. I'll keep trying to figure this one out and hope someone has a suggestion.
In the meantime, thanks again for your time and reply.
Wayne