Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep TJ in Norway - Project

20180731_153200.jpg
    Our new project. A Jeep TJ 1997. A lot ot rust and a lot of technical issues - but a beautiful Jeep. As mentioned: A project!

A lot of work. A bit more than we expected (heard that one before?). Does it look like a Jeep?
    20191006_110952.jpg

Comment

New seats from Corbeau. Should fit a TJ, but of course, the reclining mechanism bumps into the rollcage preventing the seats to go all the way back. Irritating! These are expensive things.
      20200128_202016.jpg

Comment

Nice TJ project and the new seats look comfy!

Comment

Wecome to the forum!

Having owned a set of Corbeau seats, I can say with confidence that they are a huge step above stock seats. Very comfortable on long haul trips.
          '07 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ram 1500 Crew, '73 Super Beetle, '08 KLR650, '07 Suxuki GZ250 (wife)
          a '73 CJ5 i used to own , Find your State Laws

Comment

Inside body work: First, during and after; primer, filler and paint (forgot to take a picture of the yellow primer). Painted with the original "Magenta color". Realized that we have painted so much of the car that we actually could have changed the color of the car, but the Magenta is cool enough, so Magenta it is.
            20191126_200345.jpg20191130_160310.jpg20191202_191247.jpg

Comment

Spent the weekend in the garage. Trying to finish the outside of the rear body. A looot of work, and hard. Think I have been working with the filler for three months now. "Polish on - polish off". The bumps from the welding and body work would kind of never disappear or smooth. And the scratches were invisible until I put primer on top. A never ending story. But this is a garage project, and we are not professionals, so I had to settle with a not 100% result. It will end up great (from a distance :--).

20200209_102223.jpg
              20200209_194747.jpg

Comment

Todays work. If you can see it underneath all the plastic, there is a Jeep without windshield and frame. Took it off to make it ready for paint. Was a bit nervous about removing the windshield, pictured me using a hammer, but it went ok. Had useful tools. Of course we discovered a lot of rust behind the seal. This was not the plan, so now we are wondering if we have to buy a new frame.

20200214_211720.jpg

Comment

looks interesting.
                  '07 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ram 1500 Crew, '73 Super Beetle, '08 KLR650, '07 Suxuki GZ250 (wife)

Comment

Window frame reinstalled and ready for paint. Decided to try to save it. Had pre-painted the hinges and underneath with Magenta before installation to avoid gray lines in the joints it the final paint-job turns out to not be as accurate as I wish. Don't know if this is the right way to do it, or if it is smart. Do really not look forward to the final paint-job. Understand why this is a profession! Now we just have to adjust the hinges for the doors. This will also be a challenge since we do not have our hardtop available. Want the doors to fit. The disadvantage with working in a small garage! Beeing forced to re-adjust the hinges after the painting will be a disaster... Well, after this the car will actually be ready for the final Magenta cover. It will really be a milestone after working with the car for a year and a half!
                    20200219_110007.jpg20200220_203615.jpg

Comment

If you allow sufficient time for the paint to cure, it shouldn't be a disaster so long as you take your time. Since there was no major repair of body panels, then it should be straight forward. Look for even gaps around the doors before you tighten things up. Just remember that most manufacturers spray the cars with all of the doors, lids, decks and hoods installed. They spray over the hinges. Jeeps are no different. i was reminded of this when I repainted my hood a while back. I removed the hinges from the hood and found slight rust and just primer. No color or clear coat. I sprayed mine off the Jeep and it was stripped to metal.

Comment

Decided to delay "the big paintjob" for a while and instead fix an issue with the frame. It's a lot of cutting and welding and we thought we would spare new paint from that. When we bought the car our plan was that the frame should be ok, well guess what! Of course we discovered some rust holes in the frame by the rear tyre, where the rear control-arms are mounted. A well known problem I figured out. Just by chance I discovered another post on this forum that described this repair by using a part from AutoRust.com. Genius! We have ordered these parts and are now working to get them installed. Bye bye rust, new metal welcome! The "advertising" says this job takes five hours, think we need five weeks! It's quite tricky to weld all the seams on the inside. Think we have to lift the body to get access, which the mentioned "advertising" said nothing about. Anyway, this would normally not be a problem, but in our case we broke the nut on the body-mount located above the rear tyre, inside of the frame, below the floor of the baggage compartment. This nut is not accessible from below, we have to cut a hole in the (newly painted) floor to access it. Not funny! It's one step forward, and two back :-)

20200301_150049.jpg

20200301_150122.jpg

Last edited by Eirik; 03-19-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

dealing with rust is always a hassle. Great progress, otherwise.

Comment

Now we have installed the piece from AutoRust and welded it. Had to lift the body to get access to the inside of the frame. It's primed and painted. Then the new-painted control-arms with new bushings and the coil spring installed. A great view without rust (well, maybe some underneath the paint somewhere). One side ready, one to go!

20200322_135718.jpg

20200324_213150.jpg

Comment

Second side ready. Done welding, paint next. Also had to fix the front body mount. Thought it was best to fix it before the big paint-job.

20200406_180244.jpg

20200406_180105.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X