tj cheap steering upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj cheap steering upgrades

I just got a TJ its a 97 with 4 inch lift and 33's all the end links are shot and ball joints are bad on it
    I work at a diesel truck shop so I can get good deals on parts
    The jeep will be a weekend cruiser and some light to moderate trail use and dunes

Here is my thoughts so far.. I am after opinions and suggestions.. Its been years since been in a jeep... I could tell you anything about a diesel truck though..

The end links are pretty much shot on the tj I just got .. so me being that i Can get good deals through work I am looking at these
    http://www.crownautomotive.net/mm5/m...Category_Code=
    its 1 inch diameter tube they use

then
    http://truckprousa.com/i-6307487-rou...Fa4-Mgod7W0AOA

anything else you would do? I am also debating about these ball joints why at it
    http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...3500202HD.html

thoughts?
    Custom Diesel and GAs Efi Live tuner..
    I know diesels!
    2006 CC DRW LBZ Dmax, 2005 CC LB SRW Dmax/Zf6 pulling truck
    97 Jeep TJ..4 inch, 33's, e locker, 4.56 gears 2.5L/5speed

anything ZJ/XJ/TJ will interchange. at one time, i thought the steering on the v8 ZJ was an upgrade over the TJ stuff... but to be honest the best option is to go aftermarket if you want a true upgrade.

with the lift you have, you may want to consider a crossover steering upgrade. the steering angles are going to wreak havoc on your TRE's. going to a crossover system will eliminate the angle problems and if you take the time to make sure you match the draglink and trackbar.... your steering can regain a near-stock feel.

I did this on a ZJ. I used a system from teraflex. writeup is here: http://www.oocities.org/b1pig/zjtera.html

it went from this:

to this:

I was using a mismatch of various components on my rig that i bought either used or on sale as money allowed. the ZJ was at 5.5" of lift at that time. it resolved all of my steering woes.... to the point that i ran the ZJ with no steering damper for many months after the conversion until i took the time to make a very simple mounting plate for my damper.

if you read up on that page... it was done around 2005/2006... and the page is now an archive. So, if you have any questions, I'll answer them here for you.

As far as i know the Crown ball joints on the TJs are good stuff. The JK is another story, though.

Comment

Originally posted by b1pig View Post
      anything ZJ/XJ/TJ will interchange. at one time, i thought the steering on the v8 ZJ was an upgrade over the TJ stuff... but to be honest the best option is to go aftermarket if you want a true upgrade.

with the lift you have, you may want to consider a crossover steering upgrade. the steering angles are going to wreak havoc on your TRE's. going to a crossover system will eliminate the angle problems and if you take the time to make sure you match the draglink and trackbar.... your steering can regain a near-stock feel.

I did this on a ZJ. I used a system from teraflex. writeup is here: http://www.oocities.org/b1pig/zjtera.html

it went from this:

to this:

I was using a mismatch of various components on my rig that i bought either used or on sale as money allowed. the ZJ was at 5.5" of lift at that time. it resolved all of my steering woes.... to the point that i ran the ZJ with no steering damper for many months after the conversion until i took the time to make a very simple mounting plate for my damper.

if you read up on that page... it was done around 2005/2006... and the page is now an archive. So, if you have any questions, I'll answer them here for you.

As far as i know the Crown ball joints on the TJs are good stuff. The JK is another story, though.
      Your track bar and drag link seem to be a bit misaligned?

This is how I set mine up...

AFSOC, retired...
      "Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose". - Ronald Reagan-

Comment

it looked like it was, but the pivot points were actually dead on. the draglink was arrow straight, and the trackbar had a bit of a kink in it to clear the diff, so it does give it the look of being out of line.

in the original trim, the zj had bump steer, torque induced steer and wandered all over the road. DW was a massive pain. when my steering stabilizer failed 160 miles from home, i couldnt drive more than 50mph on smooth road and 30mph on rough roads.

but after the conversion, i ran it a good while with no steering stabilizer at all at interstate speeds with no other changes... and a driveway alignment via tape measure.

you are very correct, though. draglink and trackbar should always be as close to parrallel as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by b1pig View Post
          it looked like it was, but the pivot points were actually dead on. the draglink was arrow straight, and the trackbar had a bit of a kink in it to clear the diff, so it does give it the look of being out of line.

in the original trim, the zj had bump steer, torque induced steer and wandered all over the road. DW was a massive pain. when my steering stabilizer failed 160 miles from home, i couldnt drive more than 50mph on smooth road and 30mph on rough roads.

but after the conversion, i ran it a good while with no steering stabilizer at all at interstate speeds with no other changes... and a driveway alignment via tape measure.

you are very correct, though. draglink and trackbar should always be as close to parrallel as possible.
          I prefer the steering stabilizer being installed, it tends to give desired stabilization (stiffening) for the steering.

Your picture still looks like the draglink and track bar are misaligned... IMO
          Last edited by Knuckelhead; 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM.
          AFSOC, retired...
          "Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose". - Ronald Reagan-

Comment

my angle really isn't that bad. From daily driving to light trail and some dunes I think a stock style upgrade will do fine..

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...20235827_n.jpg
            Custom Diesel and GAs Efi Live tuner..
            I know diesels!
            2006 CC DRW LBZ Dmax, 2005 CC LB SRW Dmax/Zf6 pulling truck
            97 Jeep TJ..4 inch, 33's, e locker, 4.56 gears 2.5L/5speed

Comment

Working...
            X