oil leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

ok so i have a huge oil leak. i cant tell where its coming from. all i know is the entire passenger side of my engine compartments covered in oil. its dripping from my starter my trans. pan my oil pan and alot of other places i know most of thats drip back but any suggestions or good ways to find the leak? btw i dont think its a head gasket leak. no water in the oil or anything so anyone have any ideas??
    Its a Jeep Thing, You Wouldn't Understand! It's Not What Your Country Can Do for You, It's What You Can Do for Your Country!!The Only Thing We Have To Fear, Is Fear It's Self! Three of my Favorite quotes Right there

valve cover? Intake? distributor? hard to say without spraying it off with some gunk, then cranking it and looking for the first squirt.
    [_]IIIIII[_] 1987 Wrangler Laredo 4\"lift, 33\" yokohamas. Bought it as a fixer upper so to speak...with lockers next, and then possibly another 4 inches of lift.

Comment

Passenger side, if you have oil all the way up the valve cover, I'd say the valve cover is leaking, its the only thing to leak that high up on the passenger side. Not to mention the valve cover gasket is only $5 anyways, so it won't hurt you to change it.

I have a writeup on replacing the valve cover gasket here.
      95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

Comment

i didnt know that the distributor can leak oil?? and Ohio, im replacing the valve cover gasket tomorrow. for the 2nd time in 3 months. Im starting to think i may need to buy a more reliable vehicle
        Its a Jeep Thing, You Wouldn't Understand! It's Not What Your Country Can Do for You, It's What You Can Do for Your Country!!The Only Thing We Have To Fear, Is Fear It's Self! Three of my Favorite quotes Right there

Comment

Are you tightening the valve cover bolts evenly? Are you sure your valve cover isn't warped? Are you using RTV? Are you cleaning the mating surfaces very well?
          95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

Comment

check, uh how do i check that? check, and check. im still gonna replace it though.

Comment

I'm not sure of a real good way to check the valve cover at home, maybe set it down on a work bench and see if it all looks flat?

Comment

hmm, ill try that tomorrow. and ohio, i know this is a bit off topic but on your site it where it says to find out your gears. that tag on the diff. cover? where is that at? front or rear ,what?

Comment

Should have a tag on both axles, but if your covers have ever been removed, you probably don't tags left. The BOM stampings is probably your best bet.

Comment

is the BOM on the front or rear?

Comment

Both.

Comment

i just spent the last 5-10 min looking for it and i cant find either. all i saw was nice smooth axles. i think the previous owner may have sandblasted the axles or done something that they have been covered/removed. any other way to find out what gears i have. i want to upgrade to 33's. sorry for going so off topic. im a little a.d.d. BTW your sites AMAZING. i wish yall were closer :-D

Comment

FAQ: What Gears do I have?

If you have a 6-cylinder and a 5-speed, you most likely have 3.07s.

If you pull the cover you can count the teeth on the ring gear, and divide it by the number of teeth on the pinion.

Comment

could i run 33's?

Comment

You can, lots of people get by with 3.07s and 33s for a while. Forget about using 5th gear again, you'll be in 4th on the highway to maintain a constant speed, but no big deal. I ran like that for a while, until I re-geared. Gas mileage and power will suffer, but that's to be expected. You'll find your gas mileage will be better if you stay in the lower gears, try and keep your RPMs between 2200-2500 when cruising, with 33s, this typically results in using 3rd gear a lot around town, and 4th on the highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X