This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIND YOUR STATE LAWS

In an effort to quell some of the questions that come across the forums here, I have compiled some of hte links below which can guide you in your endeavors to modify your Jeep and remain in the limits of the law. Now, bear in mind that the laws in any state can (and will) change without notice, and the changes may not be listed on the web sites. Regardless of whether it is called a "law", "statute" or "code", it is your guide to what is legal, and what probably isn't.

Since this is a "VEHICLE RELATED" forum, the links (where possible) are directly to the traffic laws or equipment codes. Others are less user friendly and you will have to search or otherwise navigate yourself. Further, this is only what I have had the time or ability to locate. If you see something that isn't here, and should apply to this, PM the link to me. The topic will be "sticky", but will remain (at least for now) closed so that I can get everything up here without going over some "character-per-post limit" or something.

Note that I am trying to use a web site that is related to each state in question, so as to provide the (theoretical) best and most up to date source. Some of the states have thier laws, statutes and codes listed on the Lexis Nexis, which is the host for most of the JAVA based sites.

<h3><font color=blue>States A thru H</h3></font>

ALABAMA LAWS
    Go to Title 32

Alaska Title 28 Motor Vehicles

Arizona Title 28 Scroll down to Chapter 3.

Arkansas This one is a bit difficult. In JAVA... find title 27, "Transpotation" and scroll down for "Vehicles and Equipment" for starters.

Here is California. You'll have to search this one. It doesn't appear to be formated so that you can just skim through....

Colorado JAVA again. Use the left side bar. Select Title 42 and expand the tree.

Connecticut I suggest starting at Volume 5, Title 14. Good Luck.

Delaware Title 21 Chapter 43 for equipment.
    Here is the menu for Delaware Title 21.

Florida Traffic laws Equipment starts at Fl Code 316.217.

Georgia Codes, Title 40.
    40-5-xx driver's licenses
    40-6-xx traffic laws
    40-8-xx vehicle equipment / requirements

Hawaii This is a searchable database. No browsing, so you hafta know what youre looking for.

------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this is a start. More will come up later. If you have something that is worth adding to the above list, PM me.

Billy
    '07 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ram 1500 Crew, '73 Super Beetle, '08 KLR650, '07 Suxuki GZ250 (wife)
    a '73 CJ5 i used to own , Find your State Laws

<H3><font color=blue> States I thru M</H3></font>

IDAHO (yes, that's right, Jason) Chapter 9 For Equipment

Illinois Go to Chapter 12

Indiana Titlle 9, Article 19.

Iowa Title 8, Subtitle 2. Starting at 321.384 (this is showing up to 2007 - edit 02-19-09)

Kansas This is a list of Vehicle Equipment statutes. Seems you have to read each one individually.

Kentucky This one is easy enough. (ofcourse we are talking about Kentucky...

Louisianna Best I can find. THis one, you'll ave to search by text. Use "REVISED STATUTES" and enter your text. ex: seat belt, tires... etc..

MaineThis is the list of all statutes. Titles 29 and 29-a are for Motor Vehicles.

Maryland Code, Transportation, Title 22.

Massachusetts (compliments of weezle) Sec.7 for most equipment codes.

Michigan

Minnesota Pretty scattered as far as topics go, so here is the easiest way to start.

Mississippi Chapter 007

Missouri Equipment Regulations (link INOP... sorry... 02-19-09)

Montana Title 61 Chapter 9

--------------------------------------------------------

More to come!
    '07 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ram 1500 Crew, '73 Super Beetle, '08 KLR650, '07 Suxuki GZ250 (wife)

Comment

<H3><font color=blue> The last states</H3></font>

Nebraska Again. Searches prevail

Nevada Slide down to NRS 484.541 to start Equipment.

New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Laws.

New Jersey This one could get tedious. There is a search tool on the bottom. (UPDATED)-- may be tad bit easier....

New Mexico Another JAVA site. Use the file tree on the left.

New York (state) [img]smile.gif[/img] someone may ask... Click Chapter 71. It goves a list of the codes so you dont have to click each one.

North Carolina Equipment interests run from # 20-122 thru #20-137.8 / and of special interest is #20-128 for some of you. You may also go down to Article 3A and check it out.

South Carolina

North Dakota Title 39-11 for Equipment

South Dakota Start down at Chapter 15.

Ohio Administrative Code 4501-43-04 - Specifications <font color=green>(edited by Jason J. Crawford)</font color>
      Anderson's Online OHIO Laws. For all motorvehicle laws, scroll to Title XLV Motorvehicles - Aeronautics. Click it, then go to 4513 Traffic Laws, Equipment, Loads.

*If someone has something for Oklahoma, please share it.*

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

Tennessee Title 55, Chapter 9.

Texas Chapter 547

Utah Starts around 41-6-119

Vermont Motor Vehicle Section

Virginia

Washington Scroll down to 46.32 thru 46.44

West Virginia I suggest WVC 17C 15-1 to start Equipment.

Wisconsin Mostly PDF files, Statute #347.

Wyoming Long one.

For the District of Columbia, Maybe starting here will help you out.
      -----------------------------------------------------

Here you go. Maybe this will help answer some of your questions. I do suggest that you review some of the state laws where you live. It is likely that you will find out something that you didn't know... and find useful. Like bar-room trivia or something.

Comment

The thread is now open for useless dribble and gossip.

Comment

For those in NJ, I have had this link saved for a while. It's from '99 but I'm sure most if not all still apply. I clicked on the link above for NJ, but didn't get too far in finding what I was looking for.

http://members.aol.com/snowman629/truck/liftlaws.htm
          ºllllllº 1993 Green YJ - 6-cyl, 5-spd, 1" Body Lift, 3.5" BDS Lift, 33" MTR's...
          ºllllllº 1999 Blue XJ 5-spd - Daily Driver
          My Jeeps -- CMSurfer --

Comment

PA law says that fender flares are not to exceed 3 inches but dont Sahara's come from the factory with flares bigger than 3"?

§ 175.77. Body. e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.
            '98 Wrangler with some goodies....

Comment

Thanks B! as this does open some eyes
              2003 Rubicon,bigger MTR\'s,Skids,lift and Still growing!Techie in Austin,Texas.<br />Does anybody ever read these sigs?

Comment

I think a Sahara may come with 3" flares. The saving force isnt always how much flare you can get away with, but if-and how much- tire you can get by with sticking PAST the flares. Georgia alows a little, I think. The best coverage for flares is to get ones that are larger for larger tires, not wider off the body... though Bushwacker sells em like that, too.

I think the nature of the law is to cover the rednecks (southern ones) that take the 3" rubber garden surround and screw it onto the factory flares to add another 2.5" of "flare" to cover the tire.

CMsurfer, thanks for the link. By all means... anyone with a good link, post it. It's preferable to have an "official" site so, that (in theory) if the law is ammended or repealed, it would be updated. Either way, anything that can provide info for those seeking is welcome.

Comment

CMSurfer... I did a search using the New Jersey law. Came up with another thing for you all. Not positive how up to date it is, but here is a link to TRUCK WORLD with a break down of lift restrictions by the state. Again. Not sure how up-to-date it is.

Comment

Originally posted by b1pig:
                    CMSurfer... I did a search using the New Jersey law. Came up with another thing for you all. Not positive how up to date it is, but here is a link to TRUCK WORLD with a break down of lift restrictions by the state. Again. Not sure how up-to-date it is.
                    Thanks, I've seen that before, but it doesn't have too much info either. I spoke with one of the guys down in south NJ at the specialty inspection station and had most of my questions answered.
                    ºllllllº 1993 Green YJ - 6-cyl, 5-spd, 1" Body Lift, 3.5" BDS Lift, 33" MTR's...
                    ºllllllº 1999 Blue XJ 5-spd - Daily Driver
                    My Jeeps -- CMSurfer --

Comment

Tell... no .. ASK him to give you last years copy of the codes they use. They should get an annual update... at least we do here is GA. Maybe tell them you are trying to educate us ignorant Jeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bada-Bing.:
                        PA law says that fender flares are not to exceed 3 inches but dont Sahara's come from the factory with flares bigger than 3"?

§ 175.77. Body. e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.
                        Bada-Bing
                        That is three inches over stock. So a Sahara can be six inches wide. A CJ can be five inches. Also the tread can not be past the end of the flare but the side wall can. Just in case you are wondering how I know. I am only stationed in Connecticut . I have my jeep registered and inspected in Pennsylvania .
                        Warning this is only MY OPINION (& it probably sucks) Sorry!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.jeepaholics.com/rides/view.asp?id=1673\" target=\"_blank\">PIC\'s of my 81</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos\" target=\"_blank\">More Pic\'s</a>

Comment

PA laws say whatever, then say unless it is factory equipment (aka came with the vehicle, etc.).

BTW: Only 1 rear facing, unobstructed mirror is required in PA, not 3, not even 2.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06.../s175.227.html
                          -Rick @ Quadratec
                          -The statements in this post may or may not reflect those of Quadratec, Inc.
                          -98 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ - 5.9L V8, 4.5"/4.75" lift, 32x10.10x16" MTZ's, Tomken Rocker Guards, Morimoto MH1 Projectors w/ 4300K HID's, Intake
                          -01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - M6, ORY
                          -98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - M6, WS6 hood, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Hella 60MM projectors, HID's
                          -'03 VW Golf TDI (Turbo Diesel) - 5 speed, LRR tires, Bi-xenon HID projectors w/ 4300K HID's, 50 MPG

Comment

Originally posted by JeepFreakMike:
                            .... I have my jeep registered and inspected in Pennsylvanian .
                            Dude.
                            What language is that?

Comment

It is nice to be able to read those laws and know what I have been getting away with all along. You see, here in NC, the cops really don't give a hoot about tires sticking out past the flares and the size of such equiped flares if any. A buddy of mine is ridding around in a Samurai with jeep wagoneer axles under it. His 35's are not even under the vehicle. It sure looks crazy going down the road, but he hasn't been pulled yet for it and probably wont either.
                              \'98 TJ Sport. 4.0L, D30/D44. Rough Country 4\" lift, 33x12.50 TSL\'s on 15x10 Cragar Soft Black 8s. Borla Header, Borla Cat-back Exhaust. Tuffy Center Console. ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP, A to Z Rocker Guards, Pair of KC Daylighters on the windshield mounts, Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer.

Comment

Working...
                              X